Monday, January 7, 2008

The Cross is Foolishness...to some - Hating Christianity

I'm sure you heard about the shootings at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, last month on December 9th, and the related shootings at the Youth With A Mission campus in a Denver suburb earlier that morning. In the following days, authorities let us know the shooter's name was Matthew Murray and that someone, possibly Murray, had posted rantings about Christianity and threats against Christians on a web site in the hours between the shootings.

According to an MSNBC article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22198635/), Murry wrote on a web site (which was not identified), "All I want to do is kill and injure as many of you as I can especially Christians who are to blame for most of the problems in the world."

The week before that I was checking out some blog directories in order to register this blog with them. I remember seeing on one of those directories a blog titled something like "Ex-Christian." The brief description described the blog as for those who had come out from under the lies of Christianity.

Huh?

Are any of you as perplexed by that as I am?

It shouldn't surprise us, I guess. Jesus told his followers they (we) would be hated on account of Him. I just hadn't encountered web sites and blogs spewing such hatred and rantings toward Christians and Christianity until that week.

Call me naive if you want, but I am still of the opinion that any individual who truly gets to know Jesus Christ, His message, and the work He did while here on earth and why He did it, will come to love Him. But then there are those who don't want to know the truth and so call the truth lies.

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."
1 Corinthians 1:18, NIV

1 comment:

Sue Tornai said...

Thank you, Dianne, for the scripture reminder. I have gone through similar spiritual warfare at work. I feel like this guy is out to destroy me by telling lies about me. When I went to work on Friday, God encouraged me with "Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world." Jesus warned us that these things would happen. I wonder if this means He's coming soon.