Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Part 3 - Interview with Carole Whang Schutter, screenwriter of SEPTEMBER DAWN

Dianne: How has the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints responded to the movie?

CWS: Their formal reaction is to say that it is historically incorrect. I think there is much more of a reaction behind the scenes. We are seeing it in the blogs and reviews. It is interesting that the negative reviews are almost cookie cutter, and that there are hundreds of reviews on the movie web sites. Although some very well known critics like Rex Reed gave it high praise, the reviews are either all F's or mostly A's. The word sabotage comes to mind. It is my belief that eventually people will make up their own minds and not let bloggers and the critics make up their minds.

I also find it interesting that movie reviewers have suddenly become historians. I do not pretend to be the caliber of Will Bagley, the Utah historian who wrote Blood of the Prophets, but I stand by our research.

Coming next: I've heard the LDS church tried to stop the film. Is that true? In what ways?

3 comments:

ElizabethMThompson said...

I am enjoying the interview and am frustrated that September Dawn is not showing in theatres near me. I live near a large city and there are dozens of theatres within driving distance.

Dianne E. Butts said...

I understand, Elizabeth. My husband got online and checked theaters until he found one showing the film. You might try calling some theaters and asking if they'll bring it in. Perhpas it's on their schedule and they'll have it in the near future. If not, knowing people want to see it might influence them to bring it in.

I believe factors that influence when theaters get movies include how big the city/population is and how "big" the production company is and how much money they have to propmote it. That's why small towns get movies much later than the cities.

By the way, I don't think "bad" movies get released in September as "LifeonaPlate" commented on one of my earlier posts. Movies that bad don't get produced or released at all. But smaller-budget production companies do release movies when they will not be in direct competition with films with huge stars and huge promotional budgets. That doesn't say a movie is bad. That's just smart business.

Cheryl said...

I never even heard about this movie when it was out. I'm glad it was released on DVD this month so I can see it. I loved the book!

Looking forward to more of this interview.

Cheryl