Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday in Colorado

It's Super Tuesday, and Colorado is among the 22 states holding a caucus or primary today. Since this is a political blog (among other topics), I should probably write something about politics, don't you think?

I hadn't yet because I'm just quietly watching all that is going on. The Presidential candidate I was leaning toward has already dropped out: Fred Thompson. A true conservative who said he wanted to engage people on the issues. What?! Not on personalities or gender or race or fluff?! My kind of guy. But with him now out of the race... What's a voter to do?

I have to admit some of the folks on my side of the aisle seem to be going a little crazy. Strong conservative Ann Coulter said the other day she would rather vote for Hillary Clinton than John McCain?! Please. Ann, I hope you're just being facetious (though it's hard to tell).

My problem with the remaining Republican candidates is that none of them are conservative enough for me. But I'd still vote for any of the Republican candidates over any of the Democratic ones. (Ann, please get your head screwed back on straight.)

So...I'm sitting back watching all the craziness. And I'll be very interested to see what happens today in Colorado and in the 21 other states.

But, in the end, am I worried about our nation? It's easy to let the debates and the arguing and the campaigning and the politics become overwhelming. And it's easy to let ourselves believe so much is at stake (...and it is). But in the midst of it all, God is in control.

Don't we tend to assume that if the political party of our choice gets into office, our nation will do better, and if the "other" political party gets into office our nation will go down the tubes? The truth is, God's plan for this world will play out in the end no matter which candidate and party wins the White House.

Here are some words I read just this morning:

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' ...I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe." Jesus, only hours before His arrest and crucifixion, followed three days later by His resurrection (John 14:27, 28, 29, NIV)


God already knows what is going to happen today on Super Tuesday, at each party's national convention later this year, and at the election in November. And regardless of what humans do, His great plan for this world will still play out. So do not let your hearts be troubled. Do not be afraid.

Still, even though God is in control, this does not relieve any of us from doing our civic duty and doing the best we know how for the good of this nation. So pay attention and plan to vote.

No comments: