Friday, May 2, 2008

What I think is wrong about Rev. Jeremiah Wright - Part 1

I'm sure you, like me, have been watching the video clips and sound bites of Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barak Obama's former pastor, over the past several weeks. I mean, really, how could you miss them? So what do you think about the whole situation? I have some thoughts...

While I don't like to be yelled at when I go to church, I realize there are many personalities in the Christian church universal, and so there are many personalities of churches.

What's more important to me is the content of what he said, which I find incredibly disturbing. From time to time I've heard some people make references to notions such as those Rev. Wright stated: that the US government invented AIDS, that 9/11 was an inside job... Why do some people believe stuff like that? Do they just need a deep dark conspiracy to believe in? Are they in search of the thrill of being one of the few to know the "truth," the inside scoop on something the rest of us are oblivious to (unless they alert us to it)? Are they looking for a reason to hang their hate on? Some people just want to believe whatever they want to believe, I guess. Never mind the truth.

Okay. So there are people like that in the world. (Apparently a lot of them, judging by the shouts of agreement in Jeremiah Wright's church!) But for that kind of nonsense to be preached from the pulpit in a Christian church?! OOOoooohhh, that ticks me off.

That is not what the church's pulpit is for. That's not what the church is for. What impression of the Christian church, and the Lord Jesus Christ, is Rev. Wright giving to those who don't know Him? People like Rosie O'Donnell might see that and think that's what all Christian churches are like.

If that's what people like Rosie O'Donnell think is going on in the church, no wonder they think we Christians are nuts. (The really crazy thing, though, is that I think Ms. O'Donnell actually agrees with what Rev. Wright preached!)

"So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?"
1 Corinthians 14:23

No comments: