Friday, October 19, 2007

Part 5 - Interview with Jan White, first place winner of 2006 Amy Award

Dianne: How did you learn you had won first place in the Amy Writing Awards?

JW: First, I received a certified letter in late March saying I'd placed in the top 15 out of 600 qualified entries. That alone was exciting! The letter said that a panel of judges would decide the order of the 15 by mid-April and the winners would be notified. I received a phone call on Thursday morning, April 19, that I'd won first place. It's still hard to believe this has happened to me. Truly, God can do exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or think (Ephesians 3:20).

Dianne: Tell us about winning first place in the Amy Awards. What was it like?

JW: My family and I attended a dinner with the Amy Foundation [in Lansing, Michigan] on Tuesday evening, June 12, where I was asked to give a ten-minute speech. The family of the late Jim Russell was present and others with the Amy Foundation. The award was presented the next morning at the Michigan Prayer Breakfast with an approximate attendance of 800. I was given a few minutes to respond upon receiving the award.

Note: Jan's acceptance speech can be found on page one of the Spring 2007 issue of Pen & Sword. Read it on http://www.amyfound.org/.

Coming next: Do you get responses to your column from readers?

No comments: